Thursday, January 17, 2008

Writing With a One Year Old

My son is the most precious person in the world to me, but I have to say...he drives me nuts! I am in the process of finishing the first draft of my first full length novel (50k words). This is, of course, easier said then done. I have given myself a goal of 1k a day during the week and 2k during the weekend. So far I have been successful at maintaining my goal, but I'm starting to feel like a character in a book. It seems as if the universe is throwing random crap in the way to make me trip all over myself and fail. The biggest hurdle seems to be my twelve month old son. He is perfectly fine until I plant my bum firmly into the computer chair and then all hell breaks loose. He hangs all over my chair, moves my keyboard around, switches my screens, hits the caps lock key and most annoying of all is the playing with the mouse. OH MY GOD!! Arrrggggg! Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out and run down the street screaming. So with that being said, I'm curious...

How do you guys juggle writing around your kids or do you?

5 comments:

Jodie said...

oi, tell me about it. It's like that thing whenever you're going to spend 'quality' time in bed with hubby the babe starts crying. But it goes on through to writing. It's frustrating as heck - hence I don't write or get no writing done until the kids are firmly in bed and asleep.

Amber Gilchrist said...

I try to make them go away, LOL. But mine are a little older. To be honest I didn't write when they were that age.

bria said...

AH, the "don't you love me more than the computer" cry.

Glad to see you in chat tonight!

bria

Toni Sue said...

Well, my 'babies' are grown, but I have two fur-babies who crawl over my computer, lay across my arms and sit in front of the monitor every time I sit down to write. I know, it is much easier to push a furry arse outta the way than it is to keep a child at bay, but still! :)

Pamela Tyner said...

You are a braver woman than me. When my kids were little, I didn’t even attempt to write unless they were asleep. They’re older now, and they know not to disturb me when I’m working unless there’s a need to call for an ambulance, policeman, or fire truck :)