Sunday, March 20, 2011

What Makes a Good Love/Sex Scene?

As a writer of wonderful naughtiness, I am always interested in people’s views toward sex, but more specifically regarding romance books. A good sex scene can really amp up the intensity of a book. It can push characters past their limits or make them regress. Some sex scenes are all about inserting tab a into slot b, then rinsing and repeating. Then they may include a bunch of “dirty” words into, what I would consider, a strictly action based sex scene, where there is no insight into the characters deep thoughts or emotions. These types of scenes unfortunately do nothing for me.

The ones that really pull me in, have loads of sexual tension, so intense, the reader has to wonder how the characters have kept their hands of each other (whether the timeframe has been thirty minutes or thirty days). I want to know what’s in their heads, what they feel not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I don’t want to just know that it’s “good” I want to know how and why it’s good and the affect the experience is having on the characters. The scene can be expressed in the most adult, frank, language the author can conjure, it can be sweet, luxurious and lyrically beautiful or even a mixture of both. These are all things that can make a sex/love scene come alive for me. How about you?

1 comment:

Kristin Howell said...

I agree with what you are saying. I need to feel what the characters are feeling.