Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday Thirteen

One of my favorite things in the world is traveling. I love to see new places and meet the people and learn about different cultures. When I’m older I plan on traveling the world but for the most part my travels have taken to me various places in the US. I’d like to share them with you now.

13 Places I’ve been

1. Disney Land (not to be confused with Disney World).
This one is sunny Ca. We were at a family reunion and I was very young… maybe four or five. My most unforgettable memories from this trip are from when I leapt into the hotel pool thinking I could swim and almost drowned in 3 ½ feet of water. The other is when we went on this ride that was totally in the dark. It scared me so badly I squished the hell out of Mickey Mouse cap, which I’d thrown on the floor of the ride so I wouldn’t lose it while going loopty loop. Yeah… good times/

2. Vallejo, Ca.
It was a sad event that brought me to this fair little city in Southern Cali. The Man’s grandfather had passed away and I was there for moral support. This was also the very first time I got to meet his family after having been together for six years. Though it was small I thought it was a beautiful place. This was the also the first time I’ve been so close to real mountains. I mean wow those things are huge!

3. San Francisco.
This occasion was much happier than the Vallejo trip. One of The Man’s Friends was getting married and of course I leapt at the chance to go to The Man’s home town. He’d already been to mine plenty. The thing I’ve noticed we have in common is that we both have mostly male friends so sadly I couldn’t hook anyone up. I think they decided to forgive me for that one. The city was sooooooooooo beautiful; I’ve been dying to go back since.

4. Washington D.C.
Going back to my younger years I actually used to visit our fair D. C. all the time. It’s where my great grandparents lived for a very long time. My great grandfather was very influential in politics. He knew people like Martine Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and John F. Kennedy. I went there all the time to visit them and I loved the city but my most vibrant memories of this place are the huge house they lived in… and the pattern in which my great grandmother used to snore in. I was young, what can I say?

5. Dumas, AR
This is actually where my grandmother (on my dad’s side) is from. She hated it so much she left as soon as she was old enough (maybe in her twenties) and never moved back. We went there later on for another of those notorious family reunions and I gotta say… it was really dusty. And there was also a huge bug that lived on the ceiling of our hotel room for the entirety of the trip. On a positive note this is where I ate at my first Sonic… we don’t have those in Chicago.

6. Milwaukee, WI
Being that it’s not that far from Chicago my parents and I used to go here often. It’s also right off the lake (meaning Lake Michigan) and they have an awesome zoo, where I rode my first elephant and camel. They also have a variety of fests during the summer where you can buy great food and listen to great music.

7. St. Louis, MO
I’ve actually been here a number of times since I have family there. I love to walk the city, especially downtown. I really love the area near the arch. It’s very grassy and pretty and the arch is just amazing to see up-close… though going in the arch I could have done without. It was nice to have the experience but the elevators were like shifty, shaky little ovens and I thought I might hurl before I got off…

8. Atlanta, GA
I’ve also been here many times. My mother and cousin both went to college there and loved the city. There are so many places to see since it is place full of history. I visited a number of historical colleges and the Coca Cola Museum which was awesome! I also got to do lots of shopping. The food’s great too.

9. Ontario Canada
I was about eleven when we went to Canada. It was during the summer so it wasn’t cold but it wasn’t too hot either. I thought it was one of the most beautiful cities. There were cobblestone streets and different shops and eateries. The architecture was fantastic; I think we even visited a castle. It’s a place I’d love to visit again only I’d like to maybe learn some French first.

10. Nassau in The Bahamas
Still the most beautiful place I have ever been to in all my life! The water was so clear I could see straight through it. The sand was beautiful and the temperatures were lovely. The food was excellent. I mean they probably caught it and served it to us that same day and the people were so friendly. It was the first time I’d ever seen a palm tree in my life. When a thirteen year old me said, “Oh my God mom look, palm trees.” on a bus full of people I new I was out of place. I never wanted to leave and I am so going back when I get the chance.

11. Universal Studios (Yes now this is in FL)
I had gone to St. Pete, FL with a friend for spring break and she and her mom took me to this wonderful place. I took a picture with The Grinch who I later found out was doing bunny ears. I also took a picture with Thing 2 from The Cat and the Hat (who we had to catch before we could take the picture). Also we took pictures with various XMEN and lastly Betty Boop… who was taller than I remember. Hmmmm

12. Miami, FL
It rained damn near half the time so I was pissed because I didn’t get my much coveted tan. Hey, I had planed on being dark chocolate when I left there not the same caramel that I was when I arrived. Anyway we went to a bunch of different clubs, made friends at a few bars, wore naughty little outfits (some of the time) and enjoyed the beach (when it wasn’t freakin’ raining).

13. Manhattan, NY
I went with my mom which could have been a mistake. We went by Central Park, past a couple of vendors and into the world of shopping. We walked so far we had to take a cab back. We also ate some delicious Brazilian food and went to see a show on Broadway. It was an awesome time. We spent all our money and came back with a t-shirt and a tie for my brother and father…

9 comments:

Stephanie Adkins said...

I'm SO with you! I absolutely LOVE to travel! You've been to a lot of great places. :) Happy Thursday! *Hugs*

Unknown said...

I haven't travelled all that much, but plan to when the kids are all on their own. Great list. If you come back to Ontario, stop by for a visit lol Happy T13!

Cambria Dillon said...

I wish I could travel more because I do love it. I second the Bahamas - the beaches are beautiful! I think my favorite travel city was Venice (and I'll expand and just say all of Italy). I can't wait to travel back there!
Great list!

Paige Tyler said...

Cool! We've been to Disneyland, Universal, San Francisco, DC, Manhattan, and lived outside of Atlanta for a while!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Awesome. And I know where Vallejo is (and that it's pronounced Vallayho) because I grew up about 11 miles from it in Napa, CA.
I love San Francisco too. It's big and crowded, but I still love it.
You've been to the Bahamas? I'm kind of jealous!!!!
Great TT.

Ella Drake said...

I love traveling. Sounds like you had lots of fun, too.
Happy Thursday!

Alice Audrey said...

I wish I'd given myself more time in DC so I could check the place out. Besides the convention center, all I think of is seeing the Washington monument through the window as the plane landed, and the metro.

Janice Seagraves said...

I've been to the Universal Studios here in California when I was in my late 20's, it was interesting but a lot of things weren't working because we were in the last tour of the day, er night. It was dark.

That was before it burned down.

Janice~

Elise Logan said...

Fun list. I've a long list, as well. And a longer list to go.